My name is Heike Behl.
I am a fully bilingual German native translator with over 7 years practical experience in software development and in-house localization and over 15 years experience as translator.
Since September 2003, I have been a freelance member of the GLS localization team of Intel Corporation, and the majority of my translation projects consists of software/hardware, software manuals, help files and related marketing and training materials. In addition, I have a broad background in many areas and the necessary knowledge to translate texts from the areas of science, humanities, music, tourism and business.
I have strong writing skills in English and German, and have a Ph.D. in German Literature and an M.A. equivalent in English Literature and Linguistics. Some of my own writings on literary criticism and linguistics have been published in both English and German.
All my translations are delivered on time, thoroughly spell-checked and proofread, and correctly formatted (including DTP), and I fully adhere to the new German Orthography. I am fast, extremely detail-oriented and absolutely reliable. My clients (most of them return customers) have come to expect only the best translation quality and service.
Here are some more details of my professional background:
Some of my major translation projects include:
- Localization of Intel software, manuals and help files as member of Intel's GLS localization team
- Software Localization and QA of products and manuals for Globalink, Lernout & Hauspie, Mendez, and Bowne Global Solutions
- Localization of web presence and contracts for international sms service provider
- Localization of e-learning programs for several large international companies for software solutions
- Server installation and maintenance manuals for major Canadian company
- Localization of web presence for several international businesses
- Manuals and packaging for international computer peripherals company
- Marketing material and surveys for several international computer and electronics companies
- Sales and Co-Marketing material
SENIOR SOFTWARE LINGUIST
- Development of linguistic components of English<>German and French<>German Machine Translation programs (Power Translator, iTranslator, WebTranslator) for Globalink, Lernout & Hauspie, Mendez, and Bowne Global Solutions
- Creation and maintenance of subject-specific computer dictionaries for Computer, Medical, Legal and Business domains
- Creation of company standards for the evaluation of Machine Translation
- Evaluation of Machine Translation produced by the company's and competitors' products
- San Diego State University, University of California, San Diego: Part-time instructor for German Language and Linguistics, Translation (ongoing)
- Teacher of German and Creative Writing (in English) at high school and college level for 8 years
- Applications: Trados, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, WordPerfect, QuarkXpress, FrameMaker, Photoshop, Painter, Flash, GoLive, 3D applications (Bryce, Poser)
- Experience with RoboHelp, HTML Help
- Operating Systems: Windows NT/2000/XP, Mac OS X
- Ph.D. in German Literature, University of California, San Diego, USA
- M.A. equivalent ("erstes Staatsexamen") in English Literature, Linguistics. University of Cologne, Germany
- "Word Order and Preposition Attachment in English<>German MT Systems, in: Problems and Potential of English-to-German MT Systems, Workshop at the 8th International Conference on Theoretical and Methodological Issues in Machine Translation TMI 99
- "References to Hebrew in Paul Celans Kleide die Worthöhle aus, in: Monatshefte (University of Wisconsin Press), Summer 1995, Vol. 87, No. 2, 170-186
- "Ohne Zahl sind die Straßen": Wege in die Dichtung Paul Celans, Dissertation, UMI, Ann Arbor, 1995
- James K. Lyon, "Judentum, Antisemitismus, Verfolgungswahn: Celans Krise 1960-1962," in: Celan-Jahrbuch 3 (1989), 175-204
- James K. Lyon, "Der Holocaust und nicht-referentielle Sprache in der Lyrik Paul Celans," in: Celan-Jahrbuch 5 (1993), 247-270
You can also find my profile at Proz.com.